Statement on COVID-19 and vaccination
On 3 December, the Department for Social Justice of the Bishops’ Conference issued an updated statement on COVID-19 and vaccination, signed by the Chair, Bishop Richard Moth, on COVID-19 vaccines. Read the full statement.
Churches re-open for Public Masses
From 2 December 2020, St Joseph’s will be open once again for public Masses. Check our Mass Times page for our Mass schedule and the Events page to book your place for Masses. You can book ten days before the Mass you wish to attend. See the Booking Places for Mass page for more details.
- Baptisms: Baptisms cannot take place during the lockdown.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation: Confessions by request/appointment only.
- First Holy Communion Programmes: The 2020-21 programmes will begin in 2021. Please keep checking the website for updates.
- Confirmation Programme: There will not be a programme for 2020-21.
- Matrimony: weddings cannot take place until we come out of lockdown.
- Anointing of the Sick: No pastoral visits will be made to people who are self-isolating until the isolation period ends. When anointing the sick, the Oil of the Sick may be applied using a cotton bud which can be burned afterwards (one end for the head and the other for the hands) and the priest extend his hands over the sick person for laying on of hands, without physical contact. This has been confirmed as a valid mode of celebrating the sacraments which involve “laying on of hands.” Visits to people in care homes or hospitals should follow advice from the staff on infection control.
- Funerals: Non-Eucharistic funeral services (i.e. one that does not include a Mass) are now allowed, with up to 30 people attending.
Parishes with Live Streaming
Apart from our very own parish, there are several parishes in the Diocese of Westminster which stream their Mass services live.
- Daily Mass readings: provided by Universalis, using the Jersualem Bible and the Grail Psalms which are used in UK liturgies
- The Order of Mass (PDF) produced by the Liturgy Office
- Act of Spiritual Communion
- COVID-19: A Prayer of Solidarity
- Prayer guide for health workers by Paul O’Reilly SJ
- Pope Francis’ Marian Prayers for the Month of May
- A Prayer in Time of Coronavirus by Archbishop Michael Jackson
- Slow down, it’s COVID Time by John O’Donohue
- No one is alone! Prayer when confined to your home (PDF)
- Prayers during a time of flu and illness (supplied by the Liturgy Office)
- Prayer to your Guardian Angel when you cannot come to Mass
- Prayer for a pandemic by Cameron Bellm
- When Mass Cannot be Celebrated Publicly: a leaflet produced by the Liturgy Office
- Communities 1st: If you need help during the coronavirus crisis
- Catholic Mental Health Project
- #PrayersOfHope Posters by Church Together in England
- Self-isolated? Why not make it a retreat? (PDF)
- Coronavirus: What You Can Do To Help (poster by Caritas Westminster)
- Living the Faith without the Sacraments: an excellent article by Catholic Answers
- Resources During Mass Suspension: compiled by the Diocese of Westminster
- Praying Unceasingly with the Liturgy of the Hours