In this chapter we take a closer look at the second part of the Mass – the Liturgy of the Word. It is about the importance of listening to God and to each other. Talk about the different readings, when they are in Mass and why they are different – these are noted on page 63. We listen to God by listening to the readings at Mass. Think about what stops us from listening to God and to each other.
Some key words to talk about:
- Liturgy – word of God in a public place
- Parable – a story with a message e.g. The Prodigal Son
- Gospel – stories about the life of Jesus – “good news”
- Creed – means I Believe – we say this in Mass after the Bible Reading
- Tabernacle – the special box behind the altar where the consecrated hosts are reserved and where the presence of God dwells.
Practise signing with three crosses – bottom of page 61 and what each cross means – think, speak and love.
Remember to do the online quiz (one for each chapter) – reading through the chapter and completing the quiz are the two things that must be completed, everything else is optional and there to support you if required.